After the summer of 2020, we’ve all been eager to put on our travel shades and escape the city crowds this summer season, and rightfully so! Now that some of the world’s most exotic destinations are available once again, and now that we can travel more freely and with our peace of mind intact following inoculation, we should still be mindful of our nutrition.
That doesn’t have to be a chore or a burden on your vacation agenda. It can be simple and allow you plenty of time for fun and excitement, while you still get your much-needed dose of vitamins, minerals, and macronutrients to fuel your body right. Here are a few summer-licious tips to help you stay on track with your nutrition while you’re on vacation!
Keep yourself hydrated properly
We often confuse thirst and hunger, thinking that we should eat something when our bodies are actually desperate for some water. Proper hydration is one of the most crucial steps in staying safe in the sun during the summer, but it’s also the foundation for proper nutrition wherever you are.
- Bring an insulated water bottle with you, always filled with fresh water.
- Avoid sugary beverages and go for fresh juices and natural smoothies instead.
- Eat plenty of fruits like watermelon that are loaded with water and don’t have that many calories to affect your regime.
Start with a filling breakfast
Kick-staring your day right is one of the easiest ways to eat well while you’re on vacation. A healthy, nutritious breakfast will keep you fully energized while you’re spending time exploring, swimming, sunbathing, and enjoying a plethora of other activities.
Add to that, a good breakfast is a solid basis for preserving your immune system, since you’ll be able to resist and prevent sugar cravings, and balance your food intake for the rest of the day. Go for filling, fiber-packed foods like oatmeal, or you can enjoy eggs for breakfast to give you plenty of energy for the day.
Amp up on those healthy snacks
Both during your trip and your stay, you should rely on healthy, nutrient-dense snacks that will keep you satiated for hours on end, but that won’t elevate your caloric intake to an unhealthy level.
- Bring protein bars that have a high fiber content, so that you can enjoy a healthy, nutrient-rich snack any time.
- Go for long-lasting snacks like nuts and seeds that won’t go bad, and that you can easily eat on the go.
- Choose freshly squeezed sugar-free juices and your own protein drinks and smoothies instead of sugar-loaded sodas. They’ll keep you energized, full, and you won’t experience that energy slump at all!
Go for seasonal, local wholefoods
When you’re visiting a new destination, chances are you’ll come across well-known restaurant brands of fast food. But you’ll also be able to visit local farmers’ markets and purchase fresh produce to make your own healthy meals!
- Buy local, seasonal fruits and veggies – they are packed with nutrients and they’ll give you a unique opportunity to enjoy them in their freshest form.
- Get a supplement to aid your digestion just in case some of the local foods don’t sit well with your stomach. Make sure the enzymes you choose are right for you!
- Try local specialties when you’re eating out instead of imported, ready-to-eat meals and store-bought goods.
Treat yourself in moderation
Can anything beat that beachside pina colada while you’re basking in the sunset overlooking the waves? Perhaps a “skinny” version of the cocktail is better for your health, so it might be a guilt-free way to enjoy the ritual without all the empty calories. Whether you’d like a glass of fine wine with your dinner, or you like to indulge in sweet treats when abroad – make sure you’re pacing yourself.
Life isn’t about completely depriving yourself of those priceless little pleasures. It’s more about building mindful eating habits that let you relish your “guilty” pleasures in moderation and from time to time, while you have a good, healthy base to rely on.
Last, but not least – listen to your body! Overeating or overindulging in alcohol on your vacation is not the healthiest way to savor your adventure. So many of our clients often end up continuing these poor eating habits even after their summer vacation is over, which is why we advise everyone to stay true to their nutrition needs on the go.
Need help defining or refining your dietary habits? Call us and schedule a consultation even before your vacation, to make sure you’re equipped with the knowledge you need to stay healthy wherever you are!