California is a known slice of sunny paradise for people to flock to the beach, sunbathe, swim, and play volleyball, among so many other lovely things that summer inspires in us. Whether you’ve decided to take your pooch for a walk and a swim, or you simply want to bask in the healing rays during your morning meditation, some precautions are necessary.
Spending a healthy amount of time in the sun during specific times of day can be beneficial for your immune system, vitamin D production, mood, and your energy levels – if you take preventative measures to avoid skin cancer, sunburn, and other potential health issues that might arise from excessive sun exposure. Here are your sun safety essentials to keep in mind!
Nourish your skin with sunscreen
Just like with all other preventative measures you’re taking to protect your health, applying sunscreen (and reapplying it regularly) is essential for cancer prevention. Choose sunscreen with at least 30 SPF but be mindful of the ingredients – some might not be good for your particular skin type.
Read the label carefully to see how long the protection lasts. Typically, sunscreen will keep you safe for about two hours, so taking it with you to reapply when needed is a good practice.
Pick the right wearables and accessories
Who knew that fashion could be in the service of health to this extent? Well, with the right stylish precautions and accessories to match, you can protect your skin from sun-caused damage and its short and long-term repercussions.
- Wear cotton and other breathable fabrics to keep your skin healthy during sweltering summer months – choose light and airy, but long-sleeved shirts to keep your skin protected as much as possible.
- Wear sunglasses at all times to protect your eyes.
- Make sure to wear a wide-brimmed sun hat to the beach, so that you can add an extra layer of protection for your face.
Hydrate and eat properly
Food and water help you enhance your immune system resilience, but they also help you recover from sunburn and prevent it when combined with other precautions, too.
- Whenever you plan to spend time outside in the sun, always have a bottle of water with you.
- Never spend time in the sun hungry because exposure to so much heat (when you have no energy to rely on, with low blood sugar levels and low blood pressure) might cause you to faint.
- Prepare your vitamin D supplementation in case you do suffer from sunburn. Research has shown that this vitamin can help reduce the sun-caused inflammation and help speed up the healing process.
Schedule regular checkups
Annual checkups with your chosen physician can make all the difference in how well you manage your sun exposure and your skin health. You’ll not only preserve your youthful radiance and beauty, but you’ll also be able to spot early skin issues and prevent cancer with the right level of care.
- Thorough checkups with your dermatologist are essential, especially if you have plenty of skin tags and moles to look after.
- A professional can help you choose the best skincare products for the entire year, not just summer, and you’ll be able to optimize prevention according to your skin type and needs.
- Checkups give you peace of mind so that you can continue spending time outside with safety in mind.
Timing makes all the difference
Living in a sunny region is beautiful, but you also need to know when the time is right to spend time outside and when you should limit your exposure to sun’s harmful rays. Stay in the shade during those times of day when the sun can be scorching, which is typically between 10am and 4pm.
Even when you do decide to spend time in sunshine, do your best to limit yourself to 20-minute increments. That is all the time your body needs to benefit from sunlight in terms of elevating your energy levels, improving your mood, and producing ample vitamin D.
As alluring as it might be to spend the entire afternoon soaking up the sun, keep in mind that your skin and overall wellbeing would appreciate some mindfulness on your part. Taking these precautions to heart means that you’ll stay healthy, lead by example in your family, and reap all the wonderful rewards associated with sunshine without harming yourself.
Building healthy habits such as these takes time as well as supervision, and we are here to help you develop a lifestyle suitable for your needs. Make an appointment with our functional medicine professionals and take your quality of life to the next level with our advice and guidance!